REGIONS: OTJOZONDJUPA, OSHIKOTO, KUNENE
TEAM MEMBERS: GOSBERT HAMUTENYA
The extension visit was part of the Rundu Office planned activities conducted on a quarterly basis. This particular extension program was special in the fact that it aimed to address issues identified during the preceding extension visits. The main issue identified was the growth of the fish currently stocked on all Small Scale Fish Farmers in Otjozondjupa, Oshikoto and Kunene regions. The current fish stocks are stunted and have not shown any improvement in growth in the last three years. This is attributed to the fact that the original stock was introduced to the regions 5-6 years back and this has resulted in inbreeding of offsprings. A decision was then taken to rid all the [willing] farmers of this stock and allow MFMR to stock them with a fresh F1 generation tilapia from KIFI. The program is to be followed with restocking as soon as possible to maintain the enthusiasm amongst farmers. A number of site assessments were also conducted during the visits.
· Arrangement for fish feed collection point is underway, but need to sped up.
· A follow –up program for stocking of farmers whose pond were harvested and prepared should be embarked upon as May 2013.
· The fish in the system should only be allowed for up to 2 generations, restocking done from MFMR Hatcheries thereafter.
· Introduction of catfish as a biological control measure for tilapia breeding.
· · Small Scale Fish Farmers need basic aquaculture training.......
Full Report available on request...